Traditional Irish Music, Dingle Sessions, Poetry

18 December 2006

Learning Traditional Irish Music

I have often been told that I should learn traditional Irish music by ear rather than from notes. But, I have only been able to do this with the slow airs; the dance music is just too fast. I have endless CD’s but I can never play along with them. Then a friend told me that you can get software to slow music down and a brief search lead me to Amazing Slow Downer. Just pop a CD into your computer, boot up the program and you’re away. You can slow down a tune to the point where you can play along and then speed up as you get the hang of it. The pitch does not change! You can however also change the pitch, if you want to, even to the point of changing the key. This is very handy for tunes that come in awkward keys.There are other programs out there for the same purpose but I am not familiar with them. Amazing Slow Down is highly recommended by existing users.Thank you Pat for the tip.

No comments:


Home Session with daughter Deirdre
Irish Blog Directory

Blog Archive

Site Meter