Traditional Irish Music, Dingle Sessions, Poetry

18 December 2006

Finbarr's Folly

Here is a poem that I wrote about our cat. It describes actual events of our first weeks together. The illustrations were done by Christine.

Finbarr’s Folly

't was on a stormy winter night
The rain was pouring down
As I went out into the dark
And walked around the town




I heard a little kitten cry
Her pain it touched my soul
I peered into the darkness
The wretch was in a hole



With all the dirt and oily black
She scarce looked like a cat
With slimy hair and skinny tail
She looked more like a rat


I bundled her inside my coat
And headed for the house
What was I to tell my wife
That I had found a mouse?



How could you bring that creature home?
Was how she greeted me
How could I leave it lying there?
Was plain enough to see





The kitten was a sorry sight

She really was so ill
We took her to the vet in town
And had to pay the bill





Her skin was plagued with ringworm
And mites were in her ears
Her fur was full of fleas
And her eyes were wet with tears





My wife, she caught the ringworm
It spread all over her skin
And I, I felt so guilty
Having brought the nuisance in.






Cat was banished to the balcony
Looking out upon the bay
And I made for her a little house
With a cozy bed of hay






Now she looks so pretty
With fur that’s soft and white
The children like to play with her
And she brings us all delight






We call her Finbarr's Folly
My wife came up with that
And, thinking it all over now
I'd still bring home the cat


2 comments:

Deirdre Siobhán said...

is it ok if I post this and a bit of the story in the animal empaths group of the empath community? I think they would love it.
Love from Deirdre

Finbarr said...

Hi Deirdre!

Your are welcome to share my Folly poem with your Empath friends.

Have a blessed Christmas!
Love


Home Session with daughter Deirdre
Irish Blog Directory

Blog Archive

Site Meter